Science, Technology, Politics, and other random stuff
"Is it political if I tell you that if we burn coal, you’re going to warm the atmosphere? Or is that a statement of fact that you’ve made political? It’s a scientific statement. The fact that there are elements of society that have made it political, that’s a whole other thing."
Neil deGrasse Tyson (via socio-logic)
When it comes to “domestic violence,” even pushing or grabbing can be sufficient to bar gun possession, the U.S. Supreme Court concluded.
They did something right
OH My GOD!! I thought there was no way for this to be real. This is so wonderful!!!!!!!!
It’s about time that the SCOTUS got something right!
I don’t think people understand what a HUGE step forward this is.
- Guns increase the probability of death in incidents of domestic violence.1
- Firearms were used to kill more than two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse homicide victims between 1990 and 2005.2
- Domestic violence assaults involving a firearm are 12 times more likely to result in death than those involving other weapons or bodily force.3
- Abused women are five times more likely to be killed by their abuser if the abuser owns a firearm.4
- A recent survey of female domestic violence shelter residents in California found that more than one third (36.7%) reported having been threatened or harmed with a firearm.5 In nearly two thirds (64.5%) of the households that contained a firearm, the intimate partner had used the firearm against the victim, usually threatening to shoot or kill the victim.6
- Laws that prohibit the purchase of a firearm by a person subject to a domestic violence restraining order are associated with a reduction in the number of intimate partner homicides.7
A technical glitch causes the Hubble Space Telescope, which ordinarily captures magnificently crisp scientific imagery of the cosmos, to lose balance and create this inadvertent piece of modern art.
It is suspected that in this case, Hubble had locked onto a bad guide star, potentially a double star or binary. This caused an error in the tracking system, resulting in this remarkable picture of brightly colored stellar streaks. The prominent red streaks are from stars in the globular cluster NGC 288.
I finally figured out the location of that beach in the first scenes of Cosmos!
It’s somewhere in California, about a hundred miles south of San Francisco, 14 miles south of Monterey. The exact coordinates of the place Sagan/Tyson stood are, more or less:
I don’t even know if anybody else cares about this, and I’m sure there are plenty of people who know already, but I’ve always wanted to know and could never find it through basic Google searches. I only found it after searching the California coastline in Google Earth until I found a place that matched the first scene in the new Cosmos.
Correcting Internet DisInformation: The American Space Pen / The Russian Pencil
thank you for this.
And then from his initial investment of >$1,000,000, the Fisher Pen Co. was able to make a lot of money and grow the overall size of the U.S. economy and create lots of jobs.
So essentially a story that is supposed to be about government inefficiency turns out to be a story about how the U.S. government worked with a private company to make space travel safer while also stimulating economic growth.
The moral of the story is not that the Soviet Union was more efficient. The moral of the story is that by failing to allow private investment in innovation, the Soviet Union was doomed.
Incidentally, Paul Fisher, who invented the Fisher space pen, was a fascinating guy. He had this plan to eliminate income and property taxes with a progressive asset tax and even ran for President. And the Fisher Space Pen Co. is still a going concern, still employing people, and still generating a return on Fisher’s million-dollar investment.
truebluemeandyou: How to Answer the Top 35 Asked Interview Questions. Reblogging one of my most popular posts with clearer images. Go to the link for the highest resolution.
How to Answer the Top 35 Asked Interview Questions from The Undercover Recruiter here. Posted for friends looking for jobs this summer. Unfortunately you may also be asked illegal questions and these are two pretty good articles here and here.